Travel Photo Thursday – Recycling In Penang

A carpark in Penang’s Batu Ferringhi, across the road from the KFC. A recycled brick, wrapped in a piece of cardboard. A stack of empty beer cans.

“Recycle,” the old uncle announces, making his cigarette wiggle. “Three ringgit, one kilo,” he adds, then resumes bashing the beer cans. Three ringgit is about US$1 or A$0.93.

He looks up again. “One kilo, 65 cans.”

Miss M is entranced. The banging, the stacking…. much more fun than eating, which is the task we have set for her. She inspects the uncle’s output when he stops for a coffee.

This post is part of www.budgettravelerssandbox.com’s Travel Photo Thursday. To see more entries, click here.

1. Nancie says:

How can the chance to play with shiny cans compete with eating :):)?
    Great shots.

I’m in Chiang Main until August 12th. Let me know if there’s any chance you’ll be around.

Good to see you at Travel Photo Thursday. I’ve been busy with a paying project lately and traveling too many time zones to remember, so the blog and staying in touch with people is a challenge. Don’t give up on me!

2. Leigh says:

What a way to make a living. Love the shots and the little girls obvious curiosity.

3. Vi says:

And how many cans he collects during a day?
    Vi recently posted..Surfing in Munich

I would have to agree with Miss M, smashing beer cans does sound more entertaining than eating 🙂
    Laurel recently posted..Dreikönigenhaus – What’s Wrong with this Photo?

5. Jim says:

You reckon that kid will someday grow up to be a master can crusher?
    Jim recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: July 21st.

6. LOL! can crusher! i am glad it isn’t my job. i bet miss M was having a blast.
    wandering educators recently posted..Top 10 Ways To Visit Paris On A Budget

7. Jade says:

Love the story behind this one! Great shot!
    Jade recently posted..Better Daily Photos with Instagram

8. You have such a way of finding unusual and interesting subjects. The photos are great — especially of Miss M. – how cute!

9. Great shot! (It actually reminds me of my dad, who loves recycling cans too!)
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Golden Gate Bridge

10. I like his hi-tech can crusher.

11. Looks like he has his methods down but 65 cans for $1! Reminds be of being a catcher in baseball a can only imagine its tough on his knees.