Prawn Fishing In Singapore

I found the whacky concept of prawn fishing, like frog farming, immensely appealing.

Unfortunately, our prawn fishing expedition in Singapore was not as wildly exciting as I’d hoped.

The main problem seemed to be a lack of prawns. Two intrepid 10-year-olds, on loan from the blogging parents associated with Travels With A Nine Year Old and Vagabond Kids, stood patiently on the lip of the dark prawn fishing tanks, without so much as a nibble.

Miss M was more interested in the out-of-service jumping castle next door to the prawn fishing place than the actual prawn fishing.

But just before our hour of prawn fishing was up, things started happening. A staff member marched over and dumped a bag of prawns into the pond.

The adults rolled their eyes. The kids sharpened their focus. And within in minutes — success! A prawn was hooked. A prawn was landed. The scientific 10-year-old prawn warrior studied the underside of the creature and announced it was a female. She went into a mesh bag, which was thrown back into the murky prawn pond.

A few moments later, another prawn took the bait. But the crafty prawn was too smart for our fishing team. It let go before it got anywhere near the edge of the pool.

“That one’s a nerd,” announced our fisherboy. “It’s really smart.”

A few more minutes ticked by. And then another bite. This one was landed and the boys had one prawn each. Getting the prawn off the hook caused another frisson of excitement.

And then, suddenly, the hour was up and the prawn fishing staff retrieved the fishing poles. Our haul wasn’t big enough to make the effort to fire up the barbecues, even with the bag of prawns abandoned by another prawn fishing family, which the staff kindly gave to us.

Forlorn prawn barbecues

Thankfully, the boys weren’t disappointed in their prawn fishing experience. I calculated each prawn had cost the parents $15 each. So much for cheap seafood.

I think I was the only one tempted to take a fishing rod over to the holding tank, where hundreds of prawns basked in clear oxygenated water. It would have been much easier to catch a prawn from this tank …

than from the actual prawn fishing tank.

East Coast Prawning
1020 East Coast Parkway, Singapore
Tel: 6227 3330

1. Well, what a bizarre idea – especially as the prawns are being added to the water. That made me laugh! πŸ™‚ Great you’ve met up with other bloggers, too.
    Julia
    Turkey’s For Life recently posted..Rhodes Old Town – The Ottomans

2. Andrea says:

Wow – that’s the most expensive prawn cocktail you’ll find anywhere, eh? Never heard of prawn fishing, haha
    Andrea recently posted..Ode to Irish Brown Bread

We actually intended to take some marinade along so we could barbecue our catch. Luckily we slept in and didn’t have time to prepare. Can you imagine trying to share two prawns among six?

3. I have absolutely no patience for fishing. I’ll pay someone else to do that for me and throw it on my plate πŸ™‚
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Tango Is Not for Me

4. what a hoot!! i’d have loved to hear the kids talk during the hour when there were NO PRAWNS on the line (or in the water). miss m was smart to go exploring!
    wandering educators recently posted..Top 10 Ways to Stay Healthy While Traveling

5. Perhaps not as exciting as you’d hoped, but it was fun to read about your prawn fishing experience. $15/prawn is a pretty steep price! Glad the boys weren’t disappointed.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Coasting along Big Sur

6. Christina says:

I’m glad the kids weren’t disappointed by this fishing experience. Fishing can be fun – I tried it in New Zealand, but it requires lots of patience.

7. What an idea for a business adventure!! Maybe this could be a tourist attraction in France with their frogs??? Somewhere in one of the fountains at Versailles!!!
    John in France recently posted..Summer in Europe

8. Never heard of prawn fishing before! I always thought it’s much easier to catch them using big, large nets hooked to the back of a boat! πŸ™‚

9. That’s so funny! It reminds me of when I was at a monkey preserve in Honduras to see the monkeys, but the monkeys were all hiding in the trees, so they had to bring trainers in with two monkeys on leashes. The kids loved it, the adults rolled their eyes too.
    Annette | Bucket List Journey recently posted..The Art of Coffee Cupping at Volcafe

10. I’ve never heard of this. I don’t really like prawns, so I probably wouldn’t enjoy this much, but it looks like it would be fun for the kids! (Assuming they catch something.)
    Christy @ Ordinary Traveler recently posted..Elephants Were Put On This Earth To Entertain Us

We were probably too naive, actually. We should have insisted the staff put prawns in the pond before we started fishing. Instead, like real fishing, we concentrated on trying to catch what was in the pond. Which was, err… nothing.

11. Sailor says:

That sounds like lots of fun! Prawn fishing – I have never heard of this sports before πŸ˜€
    Sailor recently posted..Cruising While You Are Pregnant

12. Kyle says:

Small children who have the patience for fishing amaze me. I’m 27 and I don’t even have the patience for fishing!

13. I LOVE fishing! The lack of prawns sounds a bit suspect though…
    Raymond @ Man On The Lam recently posted..The Hills Are Alive β€” Hill Trekking in Northern Thailand

14. I lack the patience for fishing… which is why it’s great when intrepid 10-year-olds are on loan. πŸ˜‰
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..This Art Makes No Sense… but the Scones are Delicious (Tate Modern)